The Florida Senate will hold a final hearing on SB 7026 on Monday, sending it to the House. This bill would arm our teachers through the Marshal Program. We have major concerns about the following:
- From a technical perspective, there is no mention of follow up, in-service training, either with defensive tactics or firearms
- No mention of periodic re-qualification with issued firearms; no mention of safe storage of firearms
- No mention of civil or criminal liability exposure or insurance requirements; no mention of reporting requirements, or training to document uses of force
- No mention of who will pay for the 100 hours of training, the firearms, maintenance, storage, periodic re-training (assuming it exists) and administration of the program
- Former professional law enforcement use of force trainers say that barely trained armed civilians will only make things worse. Trained police officers reliably miss their target 50% of the time.
Our teachers do not want to be armed.
If you can we need you to travel to Tallahassee. We need you to walk the halls of the Capitol. We need you to meet with legislators and demand answers.
We need to fill the galleries as SB 7026 and HB 7101 are heard, debated, and voted up or down.
This is our last chance to prevent reckless legislation from being passed.
Call or email your Senator today and ask that they reject SB7026 unless the Marshal Program is removed. Continue to ask for a ban on semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity magazines, and for background checks on all gun sales.
CLICK HERE TO CONTACT YOUR RERESENTATIVE
Additionally, please SIGN the two gun safety petitions found below